Tuesday, December 5, 2017

Colonial Williamsburg Gardens


You may know that Williamsburg, Virginia, is well-known for its historic buildings, but you may not know that it also has many beautiful herb, flower, and formal gardens. The Williamsburg of 1777 did not have such lush green spaces. Horticulturalists and historians worked together to choose native plants which would tolerate the area's hot summers and cold winters. The result is simply stunning. Visitors can photograph and enjoy the picturesque landscaping. 


There are several tours one can take to see and learn about the gardens. "Through the Garden Gate" is a walking tour that explains the historic documents and archaeological evidence that was used to create the gardens. "Gardens of Gentility" visits the formal gardens of the Governor's Palace. "Meet the Gardener" is an opportunity for visitors to ask volunteer gardeners about the gardens they see.


There are a total of 90 acres of gardens, ranging from those at the Governor's Palace to the Kitchen Garden of the James Getty site.

Garden tours are available April - September to Colonial Williamsburg ticket holders. Reservations are required. The cost of a single day ticket is $40.99 for adults and $20.49 for children. Colonial Williamsburg is open daily from 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM.

10 comments:

  1. Hey, I've been there! I think that's a first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks lioke my kind of garden! I will add Williamsburg to the (long) list of places to visit on my next vacation in North America - soon I hope.
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s prelapsarian Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  3. We were just there last September and I know just where all of those shots were taken. The gardens were peaceful - few people.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Sherry - Through the Garden Gate looks a great tour to take ... and I'd generally like to visit the gardens - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. as often as our family went to Virginia, I never saw Williamsburg. It shall have to be on my list. I love Virginia - such a pretty state all over

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is. I was there last month. As I drove through the state, I commented to my family that it was nice to have so much undeveloped wooded and mountainous areas.

      Delete