Friday, August 26, 2016

Exbury Gardens





The Exbury Gardens, located in Hampshire, England, are a real treat for the eyes!  In fact, in December of 2011, they were awarded the Hudson's Heritage UK "Best Garden" award.                     

The gardens contains over 200 acres of rhododendrons, azaleas, and a plethora of rare trees  and shrubs.  They are the inspiration of Lionel Nathan de Rothschild  who passed away in 2009.  Today, his grandchildren carry on the legacy.


 There are several ways to view the gardens. You can walk on the numerous trails, you can ride a chauffer-driven buggy, or you can do my favorite thing:  ride a miniature steam locomotive through the gardens. 
 

The train will pass through the Summer Lane garden.  From there, you'll catch glimpses of the rock garden, followed by the wildlife pond.  Next, you'll pass the plant nursery and exotic fruit patch.  Then you'll pass by the sunflower field, which if you visit in the summer, is just amazing!  Finally, you'll loop around the oldest tree in the garden:  the Domesday Yew.  The train ride takes about 20 minutes.






The gardens are open daily from March to early November.  Admission for adults is 14 British pounds and 4 British pounds for children.

16 comments:

  1. Hi Sherry - I hope you don't mind if I correct the ownership aspect - Lionel died in 1942 and his son Edmund took over, he died in 2009, and then his brother, David, took over ... it is now a charitable trust - securing the financial future of the gardens.

    But it looks stunning doesn't it ... I love the idea of the miniature steam train - taking people on tours ... I see the Queen had one! I also had no idea about the Britain's Great Little Railways ... fascinating - cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks so peaceful and relaxing there. I wish I lived closer to a place like that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You might be able to find some hidden treasures where you live. It's always nice to find them.

      Delete
  3. That's in the New Forest about 120 miles from where I am but I never heard of it even though I have been to plenty of places around that lovely area! It will have to be visited now - no excuses even though it seems a bit of an expensive entry - I think the Rothschilds have enough money already!
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s fabulous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If you live nearby, you most definitely should see it.

      Delete
  4. I want to ride the train through the garden. Sounds like a perfect outing

    ReplyDelete
  5. I wish they would make places like this near me. But I guess it's hard to duplicate an award winner.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is pretty exceptional. They really like their gardens in the UK.

      Delete
  6. Oh my. Oh my, oh my, oh my. That looks absolutely lovely. Thank you so much (and Hilary who sent me here).

    ReplyDelete
  7. So beautiful. Walking through this would be a lovely way to spend a day of relaxing.

    Thoughts in Progress
    and MC Book Tours

    ReplyDelete
  8. Lovely! Perfectly lovely. I'm visiting via Hilary's blog, who suggested we visit.

    ReplyDelete