Sunday, July 24, 2016

How to Make a Succulent Container Garden


All of the hot weather we've been experiencing has made me grateful for the succulents in my garden.  They can handle the heat, and don't need a lot of water.  They also come in a variety of shapes, colors, textures, and sizes.

Succulents are easy to grow in containers.  Here's how to do it:

1.  Choose the succulents you wish to use.  Two to four different types work nicely.  Here are some possibilities:  Hens and chickens, aloe vera, jade plants, and donkey's tail.

2.  Select a container.  Shallow bowls with good drainage work well. I use the same kind that I use for planting my container lettuce garden.

3.  Design your garden.  Do this with the plants still in the pots.  Place them in such a way to create interesting texture and color combinations.

4.  Use cactus potting mix when you're ready to plant them.  You can also use sand and small pebbles around them to create an interesting effect.  I think black river stones look nice, too.

5.  Place in a location that gets a few hours of direct sun, and a good amount of indirect sunlight.  Too much direct sunlight isn't good.  It'll burn the leaves.

6.  Keep the soil moist, but not wet.  In the winter, when the plants are dormant, water less frequently.

17 comments:

  1. In the UK these types of plant are more commonly seen indoors but I know people who have turned their whole garden into a 'rockery' with ice-plants which is great for a lazy gardener!
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s fabulous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sherry - I've come to like these sorts of plants more and more ... and if I had a garden - I'd probably have a container of them - as you suggest ...

    Cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  3. good ideas, but I admit I'm lazy and we don't have a good spot of indirect sun. It's all or nothing blazing in TX

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can imagine it's pretty hard to grow anything but cacti in your area.

      Delete
  4. I'd love to be able to grow aloe vera.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You can grow a plant near your kitchen window sill. They're so useful - especially if you burn yourself while cooking.

      Delete
  5. I can't even grow mold on a loaf of bread, so I'm amazed at talented people like yourself!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If it's any consolation, I can't grow mold on a loaf of bread either. ;-)

      Delete
  6. I can't even grow mold on a loaf of bread, so I'm amazed at talented people like yourself!

    ReplyDelete
  7. These are the kind of plants I'd most like to grow.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got two plants for my birthday approx 6 wks ago. One was a succulent. I didn't know its name until now, Sherri. Thank you. The other plant was a cactus. My friend who gave me the cactus said "If you can't keep it alive, there's something wrong with you." Well, there's something wrong with me, but the succulent is going strong and very pretty.

    ReplyDelete